*0cm has fallen in the last 24 hours in Niseko. At 07:30 today the temperature was -2°C. A relatively nondescript morning here in Niseko but at least it isn’t raining! Overcast conditions and no new snowfall to report. The good news is the wind has mellowed out and it will be a fast bone rattling morning on the groomed runs! After yesterday’s rain the snow will be hard and fast…hopefully the groomers did a good job and the first tracks should be pretty epic anywhere in Niseko United and beyond. For anyone heading into the backcountry or through the gates ( if they open ) make sure you read the avalanche report as conditions change quickly at this time of year in the snowpack. Beacan, shovel, probe – the essentials!
* For anyone driving of walking anywhere BEWARE . We have very icy conditions with yesterday’s rain producing thick ice and sections of dreaded black ice on the roads so please drive slowly. When walking use use foot spikes / or poles when if you have them. When walking it is best not to keep your hands in your pockets so wear gloves so you can balance better and brace yourself if you do slip. There are way more injuries caused by people slipping over on the streets than skiing or snowboarding!!
Useful information from other places
- Accumulative snow fall to date in Niseko, 1368.5cm
- Snow depth at the peak, 510cm
- Snow depth at the base, 240cm
- Real time lift operations.
- JMA’s six hour precipitation forecast, possibly the most accurate weather map
- Snow Forecast 6 day weather summary
- The latest Niseko avalanche report.
Live Web Cam from Hirafu Village
360niseko Snow Station Readings Disclaimer
The 360niseko’s snow station for the 2017-18 season is in Higashiyama at 200m *The Hirafu Gondola is at 305m. Please be aware that this new reading is NOT in Hirafu village but a few kilometers down the road. There is always a deviation how and where the snow falls – the area is famous for micro climates and mini weather patterns. Some days there may be 10cm in Annupuri and 25cm in Hanazono and vice versa – some days 30cm of fresh snowfall comes down everywhere!! Altitude plays a big part as well so please don’t take the 360niseko snow readings as being definitive – the readings are what is outside our house on the ground.