*8.5cm of fresh snow has fallen in the last 24hrs in Hirafu Village. At 7:00 today the temperature was -3°C. Niseko is now in the grip of a severe snowstorm. There will be no skiing or snowboarding today – shutdown.
Sunen Ni Ichido Snow Storm!
We are now in the grip of a hectic snowstorm…had to dig just to get out the front door! Last night the news was warning of a “sunen ni ichido” storm which translates to “once in every few years”. Looks like the storm has packed a real punch with super deep wind drifts and extreme winds. The mountain will hopefully open tomorrow but it will be a wild dangerous mountain when it does. Not much we can all do today but to dig and stay safe out there.
Useful information from other places
- Snow depth at the peak, 395cm
- Snow depth at the base, 170cm
- Accumulative snow fall to date in lower Hirafu village, 959.5cm
- JMA’s six hour precipitation forecast, possibly the most accurate weather map
- Real time lift operations.
- The latest Niseko avalanche report.